The Simoneau House was built around 1840 by George Hayden. It was originally constructed of wood, following the Greek Revival style, which was unusual for early California architecture. The house was owned and occupied by Frenchman Jules Simoneau and his Mexican wife Martina from 1856 until their deaths in the early 1900s. Early records show the property in Martina’s name, and Jules may have acquired it through their marriage.
The house was remodeled to its present California Bungalow style in the 1920s; the brick porch and arched façade were probably added at that time. After the deaths of Jules and Martina, their daughter, Joesphina Simoneau Fussel, occupied the house until she died in 1973.
The house is now part of Monterey Institute of International Studies.