This impressive, two-story adobe was constructed in 1830. An outside stairway gives access to the second floor; three colonial-style pillars support the balcony that runs across the front elevation, adorned with a low railing.
It came into the hands of the Merritt family in 1852, when the then-owner defaulted on a mortgage and Juana Castro Merritt successfully bid on the property. The daughter of Monterey’s alcalde (mayor), Simeon Castro, Juana had married Josiah Merritt a few years earlier; he was a native of Orange County, New York, and had practiced law in the East before coming to California in 1849. Together, they raised a family of five in the adobe, while Josiah Merritt became influential in local politics. He served as a judge from 1851-1854 and was active in organizing Monterey County in 1881.
In recent years, the Merritt House has been used for various businesses and professional offices. It is now part of The Merritt House Inn hotel complex.