One of the few remaining adobes built in the simpler Mexican style that once lined Monterey’s streets, Casa Gutierrez was constructed by Joaquin Gutierrez. Gutierrez came to Monterey from Chile in the 1830s as a young cavalry soldier; he married a daughter of the respected Escobar family, and they had a family of 15 children. In 1841 he bought a plot of land from the town authorities, and began building the house we see today about five years later. The current building occupied the southern portion of the plot; an additional wing has since been torn down. Upon his death in 1872, the property was divided among heirs.
The Gutierrez Adobe was preserved from demolition when the Monterey Foundation purchased it for back-taxes in 1954. The State of California acquired it, and it became part of Monterey State Historic Park. Over the years it has housed a Mexican restaurant and an art gallery, and is now a special event venue for Monterey State Historic Park by contacting (831) 649-7118.