This attractive adobe was probably built around 1852 by the original holder of the land grant, Francisco Pinto, on land that was assessed at $7.50 in 1850. After passing through several owners, in 1862 it became the home of Jose de la Torre, youngest son of a Spanish-born soldier, Jose Joaquin de la Torre. Several generations of the family dwelt here over a span of more than a half century.
Originally the adobe consisted of three rooms and an entrance hall. Several wooden lean-tos, which were added through the years, remain intact today. In the 20th century, a large window was cut in the north wall by an artist-owner for added light.
Today, the little adobe and its sheltered garden are privately owned and not open to the public, but they contribute a charm to Pierce Street that can be enjoyed by all.